Saturday, May 12, 2012

Planting Peas

It has been a busy day.  This morning I had my first green smoothie using our own swiss chard.  In addition to chard our smoothies usually have some fruit.  These have mellon, blue berries, and strawberries.  Debby found some chia seeds to add for additional fiber.  The color may look odd to some but the flavor is great.

My projects for today were to finish the center raised bed in the garden and plant the peas.  Debbie surprised me the other day with some pea plants from the nursery.  I had been really bummed that I hadn't been able to get the peas in early enough.  But the garden wasn't ready in time.  Now that these plants are in the ground it looks like I got my peas planted back in April.

The rest of the garden is growing well.  The radishes and carrots were planted May 1st.  Yesterday I started thinning the radishes (the sprouts will go well in a salad).  The carrots are out of the ground.  In this picture the carrots are those tiny things going crosswise in the background.

So far the deer and rabbits have stayed away from the garden.  We can probably attribute the success with rabbits to the additional chicken wire around the base of the fence.  I wouldn't be surprised if the deer are not interested because the plants aren't big enough.  Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I specifically add chia seeds to your green smoothies because they're extremely high in omega-3's and were historically used for joint pain. If I just wanted to get some fiber in there, I could toss in some mulch.

    ReplyDelete